"Disclosure: The information, and giveaway have been provided by General Mills through MyBlogSpark."
Ringing in the New Year often means new eating habits. We know whole grain is important to you, and the Dietary Guidelines recommend choosing products with a whole grain listed as the first ingredient. Now every cereal with the white check has more whole grain than any other single ingredient with the same great taste. You will see “whole grain” as a part of the first ingredient on the ingredient list, indicating that whole grain is the first and most prevalent ingredient.
According to Dr. Travis Stork, emergency room physician and host of “The Doctors,” identifying whole grain products can be challenging. Shoppers can look for nutritional cues on the front of the box, but they need to read the ingredient list to know if they are getting enough whole grain. Ingredient lists detail ingredients in order of prevalence, and if the words “whole grain” are followed by a grain like wheat or oats, it means the food contains more whole grain than any other single ingredient. Here’s how to determine if your cereals have whole grain as a first ingredient:
With all the health messages facing grocery store shoppers, it can be confusing to translate what appears on food labels into nutritional needs, and hard to determine which foods have a meaningful amount of whole grain. Dr. Stork has some additional recommendations to help you include whole grain easily into your diet. They include:
- Start Early! The Dietary Guidelines recommend people get at least 48 grams of whole grain in their daily diets. Get a jump-start on the day’s nutrition by incorporating whole grain into your morning routine. For instance, when choosing cereal make sure whole grain is listed as the first ingredient. One easy choice is cereal with the white check, which have more whole grain than any other single ingredient.
- Make Simple Swaps. Choose whole grain versions of the foods you love. Great options include whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread or even whole grain crackers. Also, try different types of whole grain. Use brown rice instead of white rice as a side dish at dinner or popcorn, which is a whole grain, for a snack.
- Don’t Judge a Food by Its Cover. The front of food packages provide good nutritional cues, but don’t forget to read the ingredients and check the nutrition label and side labels for additional health information. Cereals with the white check even include the amount of whole grain per serving on packaging.
To help with choosing products with whole grain, General Mills developed “Fast Lane for Whole Grain,” an online educational game. Consumers can navigate virtual grocery store aisles and identify products that have whole grain as the first ingredient, with the option to enter a sweepstakes to win one of each of the 50 cereals with the white check.
Make a commitment to add more whole grain to your diet by simply pouring a bowl of cereal with the white check including Cheerios®, Lucky Charms®, Cinnamon Toast Crunch®, Honey Nut Cheerios® and Total®.
5 boxes of General Mills cereal with the white check
To qualify for your first entry (and any extra entries) you MUST first tell me which of the cereals is your fav? and leave your email address!
For extra entries you can:
each one equals one extra entry unless otherwise marked
- •Friend me on Google Connect on this blog
- Friend my main blog on Goggle Connect
- Subscribe to this Blog on RSS or Email
- Subscribe to my main blog on RSS or Email
- Follow me on Twitter
- Tweet about this Giveaway, YOU MUST include a link to this post and the hashtag #myblogspark
(each tweet = 1 entry, can tweet up to twice a day)
THAT'S 7 Different ways for you to enter! Just make sure to do the Mandatory entry first!
AND be sure to submit a new entry for every method you use!
Also remember to include your Twitter username when submitting a Twitter Follow Entry!
Thanks to MyBlogSpark and General Mills for providing the materials for this giveaway!
Open to US and Canada residents only please. Entries will be accepted until 11:59pm CST Sunday 2/12. The winner will be chosen via a random number generator Monday 2/13 and announced that same day before noon CST. The winner will be notified by email and required to claim the win within 48 hours. Name, address, and phone number will be required to pass on to MyBlogSpark to get the prize to you.